Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Tale of Two Grocery Stores and Their Morale

 I love shopping at Harmon's Grocery Stores in Utah.  With all the other choices I have, that is where I go.

There's ONE big thing that keeps me shopping there.

The customer service.

There's a Harmon's about mile from my house.  Right across the street is a Walmart.  I know going to Harmon's that I'm going to pay a little more for some of the same products I can get across the street at Walmart.  I gladly pay that extra 25 cents for a bottle of ketchup-  because it comes with great customer service!

Harmon's employees are always smiling.  The employees greet me (some know my name) and ask if they can help me.  At the Walmart across the street, I'm lucky to find an employee while I'm walking down an aisle, and God help me if I need assistance.  I'm alone in a desert wasteland of customer service.

Harmon's responds quickly to long lines at the checkout lanes, adding cashiers when needed.  They are always pleasant, even when they've been pulled away from other duties to help check customers out.  At the Walmart across the street, lines are long, especially in the late evenings where there might be 3 or 4 check stands open (in a store with over 20 lanes).  The cashiers may grumble a "hello," and often that's my whole interaction with a Walmart employee.

What's the difference between these stores?  Morale.

It's obvious that the Harmon's employees enjoy their jobs, like working with customers, and love working for their company.  Many have been with Harmon's for years.  That high level of morale translates into fantastic customer service.

At the Walmart, most of the employees mope around, drag themselves from task to task through the store, and don't seem like they want to be there.  That low level of morale translates into poor customer service and an atmosphere that drags me down as well.

All things considered, I'll shop at the place where morale is high.


No comments:

Post a Comment